The India Government is going to roll out the new generation smart E-Passport which will be having enhanced security features such as bio metric details.
What is an E-Passport?
- An e-Passport will be having an electronic chip.
- It is also known as digital or bio metric passports.
- The e-passport is likely to secure the data and faking will be extremely difficult.
- The chip will hold the same information printed on Passport.
- More than half of the UN member states started issuing e-Passports
The Government has given its approval for procurement of electronic contact-less inlays for manufacturing of e-passports to India Security Press (ISP) Nasik.
India is the third largest passport issuing country after China and United States.