Soma Kerala Palace is a beautiful resort in Kerala, maintained and managed by Somatheeram Ayurveda Group. The resort is situated on a small private island in the Vembanadu Lake near Cochin, Kerala. This heritage property is well welcomed by international travelers. The resort is also a great place to experience Ayurveda and practice yoga. This heritage property is well welcomed by international travelers. The resort is also a great place to experience Ayurveda and practice yoga.
I had a visit to Soma Kerala Palace yesterday with my friend Mr. Tony John and his son. Since the resort is set on an island, their special boat service from a private property located near Murinjapuzha Bridge takes you to the resort. You can also park your vehicles there and the place is under 24 hours surveillance by security guards.
The boat ride from the parking area to the resort will take around 10-15 minutes and I must say, this is just awesome. And moreover, you are getting a free up and down boat ride along with the tariff for rooms. 🙂
Live in Legacy
Soma Kerala Palace was conceived with the idea of recreating the ancient architectures of Kerala. They have rebuilt the ancient Tharavadus, Illoms and Naalukkettus, disbanded from their original sites, which gives you a feel of quintessential Kerala. Soma Kerala Palace brings together Kerala under one roof.
The resort offers an enchanting experience of fun and relaxation along with a chance to see local life by the backwaters of Vembanad lake. It is really a different world out there. The royalty of Kerala played a prominent part in the history of this spectacular land. They have recreated the ambiance to transport the guest to the completely magnificent era of ancient royalty.
There are 9 traditionally constructed buildings in the hotel with 26 rooms in it. It is named as
1) Kayyalakkakam – Originally built at Pala about 250 years back by Kayyalakkakam family.
2) Vattakkunnel – This was a Kachavadappura (Marketing Center) originally built at Pala market in 1875.
3) Sreedhari – Sreedhari was a trusted Ayurvedashala (Ayurvedic Center) at Pala, originally built in 1890, this building was carefully dismantled and rebuilt here in 2003.
4) Chempulayil – Chempulayil was built in 1890 on the banks of Meenachil river near Pala. The ground floor was used as a shop where tobacco and other natural products were stored and sold, while the first floor housed various offices.
5) Manur – It is a farmer’s house originally built in Bharananganam, Mannur. The house was built in 1850 and belonged to a rich family called Kallunthalakkal.
6) V.T’s House – Originally built at Pala town in 1890. The house was constructed by V.T.Thomas, an entrepreneur who built it to store and sell natural goods that were brought from the forest. The structure was reconstructed at Soma Kerala palace just as it was, in 2003.
7) Nalekkatt – Built in the early 1800’s, Nalekkatt House was owned by Suryanarayana Pillai, who assisted the Travancore King in the administration of the state. The mansion which was situated in a dense forest near Vallichira.
8) Neythallor Math – An ancient Tharavadu, built according to the Ettukettu architecture. The specialty of this architecture is that it has two courtyards inside the dwelling which ensure thorough air passage. Originally constructed in the Kanyakumari district of erstwhile Travancore, in the 18th century.
9) Kozhanal Maalika – Kozhanal Maalika (Palace) belonged to the Kozhanal Family who was Kshatriyas. The palace which was originally built at Idakkoli Village, 40 km from Vaikkom.
All the rooms are beautifully recreated here without losing the heritage feel and you get all basic amenities in the room like AC, Fan, TV, Hot Water etc. Linen spread was average and please do not expect a luxury five-star room or amenities here.
Ayurveda Treatments & Yoga in Soma Kerala Palace
Ayurveda, the ancient science, time-tested and unique understands the essence of long living. Soma Kerala Palace has an Ayurvedic team under the guidance of Dr. S Baiju Raj, BAMS. Soma Kerala Palace offers a variety of therapeutic packages for all season including the monsoon, which, according to the ayurvedic system, is the most appropriate season for thorough medical care. The programs include Rejuvenation Therapy, Body Purification Therapy, Ayurvedic Massages, Various Clinical Treatments, Weigh Loss Treatments and other beauty care programs.
Restaurant menu seems to be a little overpriced and there are no other food options available nearby. The food made in earthen pots and large brass vessel gives the food a special essence which gets better when served on plantain leaves. The ambiance of the restaurant which is facing the lake further adds to your dining experience. Those who are taking Ayurvedic treatment packages will be having the diet prescribed by the doctor. The seafood here is an exciting one with Kerala specialties like Karimeen Pollichathu, Crab Curry, Prawn Masala etc is the must try.
2. Ayurvedic Hospital
The Ayurveda Hospital at Soma Kerala Palace has a number of treatments and wellness packages that will leave you relaxed and rejuvenated. You can consult Dr. S Baiju Raj, BAMS who is available at the resort all day.
A boating trip on the pristine Vembanad Lake that surrounds Soma Kerala Palace gives a glimpse of the harmonious ecosystem around. The resort can arrange a boating for you at an additional rate of Rs. 500/head.
4. Swimming Pool
The swimming pool here is located at the right place from where you can get a splendid view of the lake, is the perfect spot to relax. There is a tower house near to the pool which gives you the best romantic atmosphere.
5. Local Tourist Guides
6. Laundry Service
7. Airport Transfer
9. Internet Cafe
10. Safe Locker etc
Get Custom Package Deals from Tech Travel Eat. We can help you to get luxury holidays at cheaper rates, Click here to fill out the details and wait for our call.